Looking for a place to present your work in progress?
Seattle Playwrights Salon wants to hear from you!
In collaboration with professional directors and actors, the Salon presents staged readings of plays in development on the second Friday of every month. The readings are held at the Conservatory, an arts venue and coffeehouse in Seattle’s historic Georgetown neighborhood.
In preparation for our 2019 season, the Salon is currently accepting full-length scripts and collections of short and one act plays in development from any playwright in the Northwestern United States and British Columbia. To be considered for our priority deadline of October 31, 2018, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with SUBMISSIONS 2019: your name and the title of your play in the subject line.
Submission Criteria and Information:
- Each play submission shall be accompanied by a $10.00 submission fee* paid via the Salon's donation page. A copy of the receipt shall be provided with the script.
- Playwright shall reside in the Northwestern United States or British Columbia.
- Plays must be submitted in PDF format, using standard play formatting style.
- Script should include a title page with play title, playwright’s name and contact information; a brief summary of the play; and a cast list.
Submission email should include a brief overview of the script’s development and production history.
Please refer to our Submission Resource Guide for additional tips on preparing your script for submission. If your script is selected for the 2019 season, we will provide a director and up to four actors for the staged reading (additional actors provided with prior arrangement). To learn more, click here for the Playwright Agreement.
* - All submission fees go to support the Salon's administrative and production costs (compensation for director, stage manager and up to four actors for each show). In accordance with the Salon's mission of helping playwrights develop their work, a high level critique will also be provided for every play submitted.
For December’s production, to be presented on Friday, December 14th, we invite young female playwrights from Washington State to compete in the Salon’s inaugural Young Playwrights Festival. The top four one-act (15-20 minute) plays will be awarded with a professionally produced staged reading, the opportunity to participate in the rehearsal process and acknowledgment on our website.
· Young Playwrights must be 19 years old or younger, identify as female and must consider Washington State their primary residence. Co-written plays are allowed provided all writers meet the requirements.
· Playwrights may submit no more than two 15- or 20-minute one-act plays. Monologues and screenplays are not eligible, nor are adaptations of other authors’ works.
- Plays may be no longer than 15-20 pages, exclusive of your title and cast list pages.
- There is no fee for submission.
- Cast list should be limited to four characters and the set, props, and costume requirements should be minimal.
- Plays must be submitted in PDF format, using standard play formatting style. Script should include a title page with play title, playwright’s name and contact information; name of school and teacher (if applicable); a brief summary of the play; and a cast list.
To submit your play to the Salon, please email email@example.com with SUBMISSIONS YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL: your name and the title of your play in the subject line (e.g. SUBMISSIONS YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL: Jane Doe – “Title”). Please send each play in a separate email.
Scripts are due to the Salon no later than October 8th, 2018 at 5:00pm PST.